Mar 23, 2013

April Bloomfield's Porridge

And, on the first day....God created I added - crumbled walnuts, raspberries, and maple syrup.
Can you tell I've been watching The Bible?
porridge
Amazing - this porridge issss, as The Wednesday Chef  heartily writes. That's where I found the original recipe from April Bloomfield's book - A Girl and Her Pig.

Some caveats from the recipe:
I only changed the amount of salt, because the cardiac rehab dietitian inside voice in me screamed, hole-y toledo!, as it seems the Wednesday Chef's voice said too. 

Then I changed the whole milk to skim. But then again, that trend may be changing, have you read this

Here's my version of April's porridge:
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cups water

1/2 teaspoon flaky salt, like Maldon
1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1/2 cup rolled/old-fashioned/whole grain oats (not the quick-cook kind)
*Bring milk, water and salt to a simmer in a medium pot over high heat. Make sure that it doesn't boil over. 
*When the mixture does start to simmer, add both of the oats. Stir to combine, reduce the heat to medium. 
*Continue to simmer the oats, adjusting the heat as necessary, stirring occasionally, making sure mixture is not sticking to bottom of the pan. 
 **This is where The Wednesday Chef's word of 'pudding-like', really helped, since I've never created porridge before. The pudding texture was what I was looking for. 

*Right at 20 minutes, the steel-cut oats will be just cooked enough and the rolled oats will have melted nicely into the porridge. 
*Taste to make sure you've added enough salt; add more as needed. 
*Pour into two bowls, add toppings. 
*Eat ASAP.
*Enjoy the feeling that we've all eaten one big bowl of healthy breakfast, because we so have. 

**I've also reheated the porridge 24 hours later, and it is more gelatinous but nothing a little more (tablespoon each,at a time) milk and water added in won't heal. It was still wonderful. 
wildoats
**Nutritionally - The oats: When split into 2 bowls, each oat-y bowl yields 6g fiber + almost 8g protein = helps control blood sugar levels & keeps us feeling full longer

The walnuts: More about heart health, than weight loss

The raspberries: Not to mention all the vitamins/minerals, they have a fair amount of potassium - a mineral/electrolyte that's crucial to helping our muscles contract

The maple syrup: Contain the same cancer-fighting antioxidants as berries. Not to be confused with maple flavored syrup or pancake syrup which is mixed w/corn syrup. I look for the words, 100% pure, on the label. 

Also - every time I say the word - porridge, I think of the Goldilocks story.



Come on and say it!

  1. this looks great love porridge and so happy your daughter liked the fish cakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love porridge now too, Rebecca ;)
    With the fish cakes, it was that great smell that drew her in. #mademyday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about this too! I need to try it soon -- I am a huge oatmeal fan. Thanks for your take. I love the toppings that you included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate it Alicia, I'm an oatmeal fan too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a healthy treat! Looks totally scrumptious and definitely the prefect way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete

Come on and say it!